I got this recipe when I turned 13 and it has been a favorite of mine ever since. It’s very rich, and since it’s a chilled dessert, it’s wonderful on those warm summer nights.
Of course, it’s also wonderful on those winter nights too, with a cup of hot coffee or chocolate. 🙂
Begin the day before as this needs to chill overnight and you’ll need time to cool the crust also.
You will need:
- 13×9 glass pan
- 1 c. flour
½c margarine or butter
1 c. chopped pecans – or any nuts but walnuts aren’t very good in this recipe, and neither are peanuts. An almond/pecan mix is pretty good, and my husband thinks hazelnuts might be good too.
- 1 c. sugar
8 oz. cream cheese
(half of) 1 lg container of Cool Whip (12 or 16 oz)
- 1 lg pkg Jell-o instant chocolate pudding
1 lg pkg Jell-o instant vanilla pudding
3 c. milk
- remaining half of Cool Whip
Hershey chocolate bar, plain
- Preheat your over to 350° – this is the only baking you will do for this recipe.
- If you have a food processor you can use that, or a hand mixer will work great too. Mix the nuts, butter, and flour to a paste. It will be lumpy because of the nuts, you’re not looking for nut dust or anything. Press this mix evenly into the bottom of the cake pan and bake for 20 min. Allow to cool completely before adding the other layers.
- Cream together the cream cheese, sugar, and half of the Cool Whip. Pour onto the cooled crust and spread evenly.
- Don’t begin this step until you are ready. If you make it too far in advance, the pudding will set and be very difficult to spread over the previous layer.
- Combine the pudding mixes with the milk and mix. Don’t follow the box directions, just pour the dry mixes into a lg bowl, add the milk and mix together. Before it sets, pour it over the cream cheese layer, and smooth it out evenly. Allow to set. Since it’s instant pudding, this will only take a few minutes. When it’s chilled, go on to the next step.
- Spread the remaining half of the Cool Whip over the pudding layer.
- Chill overnight in the fridge. Just before serving, you can grate (part of) a plain Hershey bar over the top to make little chocolate curls for decoration, or you can add sprinkles of some type but keep in mind they will probably bleed into the topping after a while. If that is important to you.
- Now, eat and gain weight.
If you can think of a name for this, let me know! I was thinking Chocolate Snow Pie, but I’m no good with such things.
posted by DarcsFalcon