I do most of my baking during the cooler months of the year & quick breads are one of my favorites things to bake.
Quick breads are made with quick acting leavening like baking powder, soda, sour milk or steam, instead of the slower rising yeast.
Many different kinds of breads, muffins, biscuits and corn breads fall into the “quick breads” category, including pancakes, waffles, dumplings & doughnuts.
Today’s “quick & easy recipe” is for Banana Walnut Bread. Ready? Here we go:
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 3-1/2 TSP. baking powder
- 1 TSP. salt (Kosher if you have it)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP. shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 overly ripe mashed bananas
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream the sugar & shortening together.
- Stir in the egg, milk & mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Sift together & stir in the flour, baking powder & salt.
- Add the chopped nuts to the mixture & stir.
- Pour into a well greased 9″ x 5″ x 3″ loaf pan.
- Dust the top with cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- Let it stand for 20 minutes or so before baking.
- Bake for about 70 minutes or until golden brown.
- When done, a toothpick inserted in center will come out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove loaf & finish cooling on a wire rack. The loaf will have a “crack” on the top. This is normal.
Here’s a look at the finished product